Program Topics for the Author’s Business
45-120 Minute Presentations by Jaimie Engle
Leveraging TikTok to Interact with Your Audience
As children book writers, our audience sits within that 6-18 year old audience. Learn how to leverage TikTok to engage with, entertain, and expand your audience!
Barnes & Noble Book Fairs
Most authors dream of having a book signing with a line out the door at their local Barnes & Noble Bookstore. In this breakout session, award-winning indie author, Jaimie Engle, shares how she creates the demand for her books, receives the requests from B&N stores, and hosts a “line out the door” book signing through Book Fairs in this engaging session.
Podcasting and Cosplaying to Broaden Your Audience
Learn how to create a successful podcast to utilize as a platform to find new readers and share excerpts of your book and other ideas, such as cosplaying your own fiction characters at conventions and on panels.
Your Book as a Business
Knowing what level of time, money, and energy you plan to invest will determine your result as an author. Authors will consider their book as a business and build a marketing strategy for success. This course includes book launches, school visits, media releases, and marketing techniques.
Landing Your Dream Agent
Finding a partner to promote your work to editors is a goal many writers strive for. In this presentation, listen to best practices, avoid pitfalls, and know what to ask your potential agent including contract details. After being represented by two agents, I no longer pursue this route, but have firsthand knowledge on best practices.
Finding Social Issues for Successful School Visits
School visits are a wonderful way to inspire students and connect with readers, if you write for children. Learn how to craft a presentation that promotes required school standards, setting you apart from other authors just looking to “sell” their books.
Blogging like a Pro
Blogging is a great way to connect with your fans, but what happens to all that amazing content if no one can find it? Learn how to create blogs that are pleasing to the eye, filled with just enough content, and using SEO for search engine spiders to detect your amazing words in Google rankings!
The Organized Writer
As your business grows, keeping track of sales and events becomes crucial. Learn how to schedule marketing efforts, create scripts, and put systems in place so you can focus on writing. Forms and samples available.
* * *
Program Topics for Writer Craft
45-120 Minute Presentations by Jaimie Engle
Write a Book that Doesn’t Suck
When is it okay to TELL, and not SHOW? What is TENSION and how do I BUILD it? This intensive will give authors, from newbies to best sellers, ideas and techniques they have NEVER heard before, guaranteed! From world building, the power of threes, and effectively plotting coincidence, each author will leave this intensive with a toolbox filled with tips they can use to write a book that doesn’t suck! Based off the Publisher’s Weekly Book Life Prize critiqued “Write a Book that Doesn’t Suck.” Join the community on Facebook!
World Building –
World building is detailed and goes beyond the story. In this course learn how to create unique worlds by studying the elements and order of building awesome worlds that are believable, independent, and exist before and after the story.
Play-Rewind-Repeat, then Tell, Don’t Show –
In this lesson, students will learn several reasons for telling, not showing in fiction, when to know if you should show or tell, and how to develop the concept in storytelling. In addition, exploring the concepts of bringing characters opportunities to grow by learning from their past and the sins of their fathers allow readers to see themselves in the hero/heroine they root for.
Plotting Coincidence & Building Tension –
In the real world, coincidences happen all the time. Students will learn how to effectively craft and plot a natural coincidence. Likewise, building tension into chase scenes is easy. What about moments when it seems like nothing is happening? Learn how to bring tension into every scene so your readers hang on the edge of your cliffhanger.
Writing for Teens –
Teens are fickle. They are moody and expressive and embrace life in ways adults do not. Learn how to capture the voice of a teenager as you write YA fiction.
Crafting Character through Cosplay –
Characters are the number one memory of beloved books. They must be real, yet they are made up. In this course, learn how to build character as desire, image, voice, action, thought, conflict, in both stock and flat characters, using cosplay and pop culture references.
Building Story –
Story is why we write books and choosing the type of story is as important as the one you deliver. Combine lessons to build story as a journey, power struggle, connection or disconnection.
Capturing Voice –
The irony of voice is that it’s multiple. Learn to craft your writer voice, character voice, and persona using point of view. Dialogue and dialect are also addressed in this session.
Drawing the Image –
Readers should experience your novel as a movie in their mind’s eye. Learn how to create pictures with words using concrete, significant details, figures of speech, and imagination.
Setting the setting –
Not simply a location, setting is world, used as a lens, in mood and symbol, and as action in your writing. It includes time, place, and seasons, regardless of your book’s genre and should be considered a character, all techniques you will learn in this session.
Story takes time to develop. It requires pre- and post- writing in the form of a combination of drafting, structuring, and researching, as presented in this crucial session for publishing your book.
Perhaps the most important and overlooked step in the writing process, this session focuses on revising and editing best practices, to include tips that you won’t find anywhere else
Fill out the form below to request a booking or more information:
PRIOR EVENT PRESENTATIONS
- 2021 Space Coast Authors of Romance “TBD” — Florida
- 2021 World of Reading Day Keynote via Jr. League — Lakeland, Florida
- 2020 Teen Programming Hillsborough County Library multiple presentations –Webinar: Florida
- 2020 South Florida Romance Writer’s Group “Setting the Setting” –Webinar: Florida
- 2019 Florida Association for Media in Education “Character through Cosplay” — Florida
- 2019 Learning Assembly through UCF “I Dare you to Quit” – Florida
- 2019 SCBWI Long Island “Hit #1 on Amazon & How-To Ads” – Webinar: New York
- 2019 Space Coast Writers Guild “Get Into Barnes & Noble” – Florida
- 2019 SCBWI Long Island “A-Z of Publishing Your Book” – Webinar: New York
- 2019 State Small Business Expo “Branding Your Business Niche” – Florida
- 2019 NEA Big Read “What is Cosplay?” – Florida
- 2018 Authors for Authors Conference “Finding Your Agent” – Florida
- 2018 Florida Christian Writer’s Conference “Writing for the World” – Florida
- 2018 Barnes & Noble book signing “Literacy and Writing” – Florida
- 2017 Suntree Rotary Club “Finding Your Story” – Florida
- 2017 Orlando Book Fair “Panelist & Book Signing” – Florida
- 2017 Sarasota Writer’s Group “Your Book is a Business” – Florida
- 2017 State Small Business Event “Writing for Kids” – Florida
- 2017 SCWG “Marketing Your Book” – Florida
- 2017 Authors for Authors “Marketing Your Book” – Florida
- 2017 Write’s Atelier “Landing a Literary Agent” – Florida
- 2017 Suntree Public Library “Writing Workshop for Youth Program” – Florida
- 2016 Mandel Public Library “Writing YA” – Florida
- 2016 Downtown Orlando Public Library “Writing YA” – Florida
- 2016 Florida Council of English Teachers “Keynote Speaker” – Florida
- 2016 Authors in the Park “Keynote Speaker” – Florida
- 2016 Florida Writers Association “Writing for Children” –Florida
- 2016 Authors for Authors “Excellence in Publishing” –Florida
- 2016 Other Words “Panelist” –Florida
- 2015-2016 Suntree Public Library “Youth Writing Workshops” – Florida
- 2015 NESCBWI Conference, “Your Book as a Business” – Massachusetts
- 2015 Holocaust Museum, “A Mother’s Journey Through Bullying” – Florida
- 2014 SCBWI Conference, “Your Book as a Business” – Florida
- 2014 SCWG Conference, “Writing For Children is a Business” – Florida
- 2013 500 Teacher’s Symposium, “The Business of Publishing” – Florida
- 2012-2017 Eastern Florida State College “Writing Sessions” – Florida